Cannot Get To Installer With Nvidia GPU

Hello, I’ve been trying to install Arch Labs on my desktop running an AMD 1700 and an Nvidia 1080.
I’ve read that other users have been able to get it to work by removing the GPU and using the CPU’s on board graphics but seeing as the 1700 has no built in graphics this is not an option for me.

Every time I boot the installer and select the first option Arch Labs, or whatever, it tries to start and I get a screen that ends with “Triggering events” then the display goes black and says source not found.

I’ve had problems with the Nvidia cards and Linux in the past, but was always able to install the distro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When grub loads, press “e” for edit. On the kernel line, if the word “quiet” is present delete it. Then add the word “nomodeset” and press F10 to continue to boot. If this doesn’t work there are several more options to you can try, but sometimes with nVidia cards, this will solve it.

1 Like

Well, that stopped the display from shutting off. But now I get this screen

Did you verify the ISO checksum to ensure the integrity of the file? This looks like you might have a corrupted ISO image.

Addendum: I have also seen something similar with USB thumb drives, when they are about to fail. They become unreliable, and cause errors like this as well.

Yeah, the md5’s match. I’m going to guess it’s the usb drive.
Thank you for all your help!

1 Like

Actually, I second @AvnSgt diagnosis, that looks very familiar to me. That happened to me, had to use a different USB thumb drive.

After using a different drive it boots to but after all the initial boot stuff I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Hmm.
Please provide use with the system specs and model info. Also, what process did you use to write the ISO to the USB device? And, if you boot with the current USB, what occurs when you follow my earlier post of adding nomodeset to kernel line?

System is:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4

Idk what else you’d need as far as specs go. And I used Etcher to write the ISO to USB.
I’ve been using nomodeset as that’s the only way to get it to show anything on boot. When I installed Debian or Mint in the past on the same system I had to use nomodeset as well, not sure how I forgot to do that. Lol.

But I got the USB to boot fine on my 2011 MacBook Pro so it has something to do with my desktop not wanting to work correctly lol.

But when booting with nomodeset is shows the log everything seems fine and then it just goes to the black screen with the cursor. I wonder if it has anything to do with it being UEFI?

Possible, add a 3 at end of the kernel line and then let the boot continue.
This will drop you at the command line. Once at the command line, type startx and hit return. This will trigger Xorg. You might see some errors, that is ok. Use ctrl + c to abort if it hangs, and then read the xorg log, located in the /var/log/ directory.
You can use the following command for this:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | less

It’s asking me for a login.

login is liveuser
pw archlabs

Here is the log. I’m sorry for the insanely terrible quality of the photos. Thank you for bearing with me through this.

What type of USB thumb drive are you using?

It’s just a 32gb from Micro Center. It boots fine on my MacBook Pro but I have problems on my custom desktop.

It looks like it’s hanging, your thumbdrive may not be capable for your computer to use. Are your USB ports 2.0, 3.0, or 3.1?

1 Like

Rare, occasionally happens, and I didn’t even consider this type of issue.

1 Like

I only mentioned this because it happened to me. What I can see from his pics looks exactly what I encountered. When I went to a Sandisk Cruzer from a Sandisk Cruzer blade. And from my 3.0 USB port to my 2.0 USB port, then there was no hanging. Sometimes, it’s the hardware that can be the headache.

1 Like

I tried both the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports on my PC as well as using nofb and vga=normal. I’m still getting “Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs.” error when trying to startx.

Edit: I can get it to boot into legacy bios but not using UEFI.

Edit 2: But after installing in legacy I cannot boot into anything because of the same framebuffer problem.

Edit 3: I was able to get everything working in legacy by booting to command line and installing the NVIDIA drivers. Now to figure out why it wont work in UEFI.

When you’re booting into the live desktop, do you let go using the default settings, or are you telling it to use the UEFI and nvidia device settings?