Can i download old gnome on latest version of linux os?

Can i download old gnome on latest version of linux os?

Actually after starting computer i think gnome + system take total 800 mb ram… i want to use old gnome to see difference is there any way?

You should probably try the MATE desktop instead, that’s a fork of the old GNOME desktop and it’s pretty light weight for a full desktop environment.

1 Like

Oh… that’s great .thanks…

The cool thing about MATE (there is also GNOME Classic, which is basically GNOME2, but with MATE available, I don’t see the point in using Classic) is that not only does it have the classic GNOME2 drop down menus, it also has a more “modern” menu (think Budgie’s menu) as well. You can use them both, if you do the dual top and bottom panels like in good 'ol GNOME, just add the applet for the Budgie type menu on the bottom panel.

Also, you can use a WM in MATE, like Openbox, like one can do with XFCE4. The default file manager in MATE - Caja - is pretty dope, although I found it a bit slow in file transfers (then again, I transfer files in terabytes lulz).

Customization is kinda like you would find in Cinnamon (I hate Cinnamon though, that desktop is a big reason why I stopped using Mint ages ago) as well as good ol’ GNOME2. I used to customize the hell out of GNOME2 because it was that easy even back then, and it was always in dark mode lulz. This was before Reddit and whatever mod community was out there.

My old drumkit had a cherry wine finish, and a bass player buddy of mine who I used to jam with while I had that kit came over to jam when I bought my latest one, which is like a Black Burst finish, dark mode style. I asked him what he thought, and he said “Well this fits your personality”. I looked at him and asked “Dark?”.

MATE is good. Gnome has another shell, flashback. It’s based on gtk3 and mimics gnome 2.

Mate is not cool bcz it dont have that menu animation… Anyway does mate support gnome extensions…

@drummer really dark yes, for not being able to stand Cinnamon lmao :upside_down_face: :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t use DE’s, and if I were, I’d rather Deepin over Cinnamon. That’s how much I dislike Cinnamon.

1 Like

It’s hard to go back to DEs. If I had to, I’d probably use xfce.

1 Like

Yeah the new XFCE update looks pretty sweet, it’s in RC right now I think, and the great thing about XFCE is how modular it is. In a way, I think KDE/Plasma kind of kicked the XFCE devs into high gear, because XFCE honestly was a bit ignored for a while, the latest update was anti-climatic (“what, is this it?”), but this upcoming one is they upping their game, and XFCE is rock solid, IMO the best DE in Linux.