ArchLabs Linux

BunsenLabs Transfer

Howdy!

Decided to try out Arch after using BunsenLabs for awhile. As a long-time Debian user and fan of the APT package management system I was preparing for an adjustment period but was thrilled with pacman. Up-to-date packages available directly from the repos? Oddball programs available in the AUR that I’d normally have to manually download and compile? Awesome! I’m a one-way convert at this point even if I do have fond memories of the Debian world.

ArchLabs was a lucky find since my plan was to essentially recreate BunsenLabs bit by bit. Thanks for doing the work for me and introducing me to a lot of other lightweight desktop tools in the process!

Personal stuff: US resident. I enjoy reading Ligotti, Lovecraft, DFW, Bukowski, misc philosophy. I’m a half-assed Python programmer and a fan of the Godot game engine. I keep time on a 13 year old, beat-up Tama Swingstar kit that I spraypainted in my punk rock days and play chess from time to time. Pencil drawing, knife throwing, gardening, lockpicking. Nice to meet you!

3 Likes

That’s one of the main attractions to Arch based systems!

Welcome to ArchLabs, I too am a Lovecraft fan.

1 Like

Hey @GrimFrenzy , I used to do lock picking. And I do gardening now. In fact I got my seedlings going, just waiting for the ground to thaw and the snow to melt. Then it’s time to till and plant and transplant. So do you have a pick set and do you do any locksmithing? Oh, by the way, welcome aboard, I also love linux in case you have not figured that out. I also did knife and star throwing when I was practicing martial arts many moons ago.

1 Like

Welcome!

1 Like

Ayy, good to have another BL lover in the house

Welcome

1 Like

Hi @sevenday4, nice to meet you!

I’m still definitely a novice picker but I can tackle typical household locks, basic masterlock padlocks, and barrel style combo locks fairly consistently. I have a very cheap set of picks ordered from BangGood: the Goso set that is sold under a bunch of names and is complete garbage. I polished them with fine sandpaper to the point that they’re usable but can’t recommend them at all. The metal deforms instead of springing back. It might just be the sexy packaging but Sparrows picks look very appealing to me and might be what I go for next time.

For now, I make my own torque wrenches out of the spring steel from old windshield wipers and have had luck making tools for warded locks with the same material, a vise and a file. I learned what I know now from Lockpicking: Detail Overkill and videos by BosnianBill and lots of fumbling around with locks.

I haven’t began my starts yet and the snow has already melted here. Hopefully I’ll get to that this weekend. Planning eggplant tomatoes, peppers (green and jalapeno), and a mix of herbs so far. I have a patch of strawberry plants that creep further along the edge of my lawn every year and I really enjoy picking a few on the way out the door in the morning. Looking forward to their return.

Yeah, been awhile since I’ve done any locksmithing. But I know that one of the best materials to use for picks and torque wrenches are old saw blades(or new if you want). If you have a dremel with diamond cutters, sanders, and deburerers. As well as a torch, you can make a decent set for your self. Skeleton keyed locks are the easiest to pick of course. I have several types of beans, tomatoes, peppers, garlic, lettuce, and squash going. I got to get my spinach, broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, potatoes, rhubarb, herbs, onions, celery, carrots, and chard going.

I forgot about my raspberries, they are about to come back. Too cold and too short a season up here for eggplant unfortunately. I got them to bloom in my little greenhouse, but it didn’t produce.

Lovecraft? That creep? You must be kidding :slight_smile: I’ve read all his stories. Cthulhu scares the shit out of me. Personally I’m a great fan of Tolkien’s world and the Dune Saga.

Love his stuff.

Same again.

Dune took me by surprise actually. I had an idea of its importance to the sci-fi genre but expected it to have nothing new for me since I figured anything cool would have already been lifted and expanded on in modern stories. I was totally wrong. The world-building and detailed layers of plotting were phenomenal. Huge fan.

Lovecraft’s writing has two elements that I enjoy: the weird locales and the meandering delivery. Mountains of Madness is my favorite as much for the personal details of the arctic trip itself as well as the inevitable spookiness. If you like the ponderous nature of his writing, I’d recommend Algernon Blackwood’s “The Willows”. If you want a dash more creepiness but still without tipping from weird horror to splatter then Thomas Ligotti’s your man.

1 Like

What Tolkiens world is for the epic fantasy, the Dune universe is for science fiction. Both are imo the best of the best.
Lovecraft is different in that it’s just great reading. I won’t put him on the same level of the former two. There are so many great books but none of them come close to my favorites (Dune/Tolkien)