BunsenLabs on non-systemd Debian (antiX19 & MX 19.4)

Bunsenlabs on non-systemd Debian (antiX19) — this tutorial is dedicated to @drummer

2 Likes

Thx for sharing @manyroads

1 Like

Thats a neat tut, I played with Antix for a couple of days then installed it for a friend on an older laptop, I might surprise him with an upgrade to BL with this, I will experiment on him. Thank ya! :grin:

3 Likes

It is fast…

1 Like

I liked this for your signature - love it!!

2 Likes

A few weeks back I was thinking to complete it with part from your own signature :grin:
" Greed is eternal. What’s in it for me? Whatever it takes. "

Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks @manyroads ! I am both flattered and honored by your graciousness.

I am gonna re-slice the T-Pad and install this for dual boot with AL. The MX BLaM! on the iMac is working flawlessly, this one should fly in the T-Pad since the iMac is a core two duo, and the T-Pad is an i5.

1 Like

I’m planning on testing the process on a fresh MX19.4 install. We’ll see what happens. I compared a tiny underpowered acer-one with BL on antiX to Lithium, the antiX version runs about 15-20% lighter (at idle). Not worth much when you compare 400 MB vs 320MB of RAM use.

1 Like

@drummer, here’s a screenshot of BL running on MXLinux 19.4. All I really have needed to fix thus far is the b-exit function. I have replaced it with a non-systemd dependant script.

Here’s the yad script:

#! /bin/bash
yad --center --borders=1 --on-top --sticky --single-click --title='Logout Options' \
	--buttons-layout=center \
	--window-icon="gtk-quit: exit" \
	--button="Logout!system-log-out:openbox --exit" \
	--button="Reboot!system-reboot:sudo reboot" \
	--button="Shutdown!system-shutdown:sudo halt" \
	--button="Suspend!system-suspend:sudo pm-suspend" \
	--button=Cancel:0 \
2 Likes

Looks nice @manyroads

I removed all the MX desktops and wms… this is BL only on a naked MX (Debian) current release.

1 Like

Oh, good idea @manyroads .

Some pimping going around in there !

1 Like

I had AntiX on the iMac last month, the iMac has been cold for a while and I restored it solely as a Linux computer (it can only upgrade to El Capitan unless I hack it for macOS, as Apple doesn’t officially support this model anymore) and compared to MX (both without the BLaM iteration, and not the MX KDE version but the XFCE4 one), I don’t see much of a difference in either distro as far as performance. I maxed the RAM up to 8 gigs (as what this iMac can upgrade to), and I am still on the original HD. I have done the AntiX BLaM! before on a previous laptop that eventually died (as soon as I finally had a successful AL install lulz) that had only four gigs of RAM with an i3 chip, and it worked great. The only thing with AntiX in doing BLaM! is what you point out in both tutorials, that it’s best to uninstall the other WM’s and Slim (I found that I had to go into Synaptic and uninstall AntiX’s WM configs along with the WM’s, by going into AntiX’s “categories” if you will and doing it there), in order to get a more purer version of BL.

To me - and you pointed this out in your original tutorial - the advantage to doing BLaM! is for the MX and AntiX toolboxes, not so much as being systemd free, as MX has an option to use systemd, or not. I did my own Sparky version of BLaM! for the same reason, as though not as “clean” as your iterations. I used the Sparky minimal ISO that only ships with Openbox so it’s fairly seamless as far as that with no other WM’s along with it, and had the same issues with LibreOffice as you point out in your latest AntiX BLaM!, and there was an artifact issue with the BL jgmenu theme in the search function, but that’s more likely due to not installing the BL meta package (due to the LibreOffice thing), and just going with the full config package as well as themes and such.

I have followed your BLaM! project at the beginning over on MX’s forum, and I have seen how much work you have put into it, and for that I thank you. As well as for all your tutorials, your knowledge base is a wonderful resource of material.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks for the yad script, I was using your previous one and for some reason it wasn’t working like it used to, but my iMac is pretty much always on, so it wasn’t that much of an issue, but thanks again.

Here is my dark version using the Yeti theme:

2 Likes

Nice @drummer

1 Like

Installed MX BLaM! on the T-Pad, which also has AL, so it’s my LabTop lulz:

3 Likes

Nice @drummer

1 Like

Now this I have tried using MX BLaM!, but the issue is that it’s really XFCE4 centric, he does have an Openbox version - but only in 32 bit - there are a load of scripts he has on the XFCE4 right click on the desktop, and things really get lost within Lithium’s jgmenu theme/config. Would I try this again? Well as everyone knows here, most likely a resounding Yes, but not in the iMac, I am just going to add some DAW software and stuff to it.

Just installed this kernel from AVLinux on the iMac MX BLaM! box, let’s see if I don’t toast this lulz: