Built my first ArchLabs ISO

Hey everyone

As mentioned above, I build my first ISO. The question I have; the apps I included in the file “packages” are they installed when the ISO is installed or are they options that can be installed along the way?

I can see how much of a benefit this could be for if it basically installs all that I have added. More of a custom ISO of my current system (well, sort of at least, but I suspect you get what I mean).

Cheers
Chris

1 Like

Ah - to answer my own question, the apps I include in the file packages DO make it to the actual install to hard drive. This is a really good alternative (perhaps a better use of words would be in addition) to Clonezilla.

Where Clonezilla will restore everything, this will allow me a nice clean install of “my” version of what an i3 install would look line (minus the dots of course).

Very cool! I am going to spend the next few days fine tuning. I run a nightly cron that produces a current listing of installed packages and that will make things easier to determine what all I do have installed and what to add to roll my own.

Of course, most all of you knew all this - this is really geared more toward new folks that might not know of options like this.

Cheers
Chris

Top job in there @Chris

1 Like

You can easily include dotfiles as well, but yea when installing archlabs-user-skel there may be overwrites but usually pacman will just jump over the files already present

2 Likes

We’re you greeted with the command line only or was it like a usual install from prior? The reason I ask is the testing/unstable repo may have disabled in the pacman.conf among other things, I usually do most of my work locally and push before release or testing so the iso repo is likely only up to date with the last (current) release.

IIRC (Since I did the install at 4:30 am, lol) all was per normal. Then on initial boot into OpenBox on the disk, it went through the shelled helper install at that point.

One point of interest (maybe) since this was my first build, I did not opt for the testing bits in pacman.conf - that is something I will end up trying in the next few days. I jsut wanted to get an idea what this was like and have a few questions answered before doing a deeper dive.

Great stuff, btw.

Cheers
Chris

Perfect! Just finished up my 2nd ISO with dot files. Still need to mess around with the testing tags in pacman.conf

Congrats @Chris