Boats

I don’t know, never sailed with one either!
Never sailed a smack - not easy to get an invite and I was always blatting around on a shortboard or cherub when I lived there as a teenager :slight_smile:
Once I was on a 50th b’day weekend on a Thames barge but that’s spritsail and it was so windy the skipper only put sail up as we were all sailors, no topsails required.
I do know the smacks haul the whole topsail up with its own topsail yard and jackyard.
Various ways of doing it, according to John Leather ( a ‘colnesider’ with loads of great books) in his Gaff Rig handbook
The Northseamen is a great book of his Northseamen Story Fishermen Yachtsmen by John Leather, First Edition - AbeBooks

2 Likes

Brave, yards and jackyards.

The NY70 YANKEE sailing with her jackyard topsail set. From the Library of Congress, LC-DIG-det-4a15407.

Yes, of course many ways of doing it. Here’s raising a topsail without yards.

Here’s a shot of the sheet running down the gaff (at 0:33)

Give me a simple Marconi rig.

3 Likes

Me too, or even an even simpler windsurfer rig :smiley:

Pre dawn Sunday Morn, back on my mooring
Finally got to the boat on the weekend
worked her right up river, along a very narrow unmarked winding channel in the middle of the wide shallow river
Got to end right at high water just for an extra thrill of the fear of failure :joy:
(my ETAP 22 has a raising keel, and sailed up there with it down , wind forward of beam so not much choice, so not totally silly tho)

5 Likes

Your posts make me ‘homesick’. I miss my Wild Duck. 34’ centerboard keel. Sloop rig; long boom, running back stays.

got any pictures?

Was ‘Wild Duck’ the name or the ‘class’?

Like this?
Oh, just seen that is only 19’
Nice tho

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/wild-duck/25248

http://www.eventides.org.uk/wildpic.htm

Yankee is so beautiful!

1 Like

The name. Hull shape like the 12 meter boats; built for speed. Lots of canvas, lots of ballast. Center board dividing the main cabin in half.

1 Like

Went for an overnighter at Lake Tarawera

5 Likes

That looks so cool!
Inspires me to do more sailing
any more photos of your Farr?

sounds lovely, a one off?
No sailing at all near you?

No, not a one off, but the first overnighter in this boat. We are 5 minutes drive from yhe ocean, but too many motorboats.

The lakes are nice to sail on.

@philT
That was a reply to @eight_bit_al :smiley:

This was to you:
That looks so cool!
Inspires me to do more sailing
any more photos of your Farr?

He’s back! The genuine Viking! Even as a total non-boater I love this guy and his amazing videos. NBJS: No Bullshit, Just Sailing. Enjoy

2 Likes

Contessa 35!
I am holed up with Covid - am going to enjoy watching this!

2 Likes

Take care man! Wishing you a swift recovery! Erik Anderaa has got some other really great video’s about his adventures , that’ll get you through some hours.

2 Likes

Cheers - already on the way out of it, worst symptom is EXTREME grumpiness :rofl:
Liked the first one, I just wanna get out on mine now.
Erik the Viking - eating his mum’s salad :+1:

1 Like

Keep it on @leigh Get well soon mate !

Bet that I must have caught covid 100 years back as I m always extremely grumpy !

3 Likes