Boats

Inspired by the recent screenshots thread.

No it’s a different J Class. I forgot where I got the pic from. TinEye search came up with nothing useful, at first; but further probing found:

which led to:

Which is a modern repicla of the original 1930’s boat.

Some other fine, large, sloop and schooner rigs:
https://www.hollandjachtbouw.nl/yacht-categories/sailing-yachts/

Like a rat on a Doritos.

2 Likes

Oh great :slight_smile:

These classic hull designs are displacement, meaning that move the water aside as they go; with hull speeds around 8 to 12 knots. Modern hull designs are planning, like power boats with hull speeds of 30 kn and more.

Of course they don’t look anywhere as nice to the eye.

1 Like

semi-planing and planing are old hat now :grin:

But this is pure beuty

1 Like

There is a real dividing line. day sailors, professional racing and live aboards.

1 Like

Personally, I like a ketch rig. Points to wind nice and can be set up to self steer. Also good in a big blow; set just the mizzen and helps to keep the bow into the waves.

1 Like

I love the Wally’s. I was lucky enough to see a race a while back and have loved these boats since them:

4 Likes

They are very nice. A bit flasher than our trailer sailor.

1 Like

I was a young hippy hanging around the docks in Coconut Grove, Miami, circa 1971. Picking up work here and there, and learning the boating world. I lived on an island just off Dinner Key Marina, I’ve always been the Huck Finn type.
A - Where I camped in my lean-to.
B - Where I tied up my dingy. That pier was just a small stub back in the day.

After a storm, an old motorboat hull washed up on the beach. Just the hull, no deck or cabin. I put my lean-to on it and moved it out to the anchorage with the other hippies. ( D ) There was a large underwater grassy area ( C ) where I found mussels; tear drop shaped, about 10 inches long. I’d dig them up and take them back to the boat. I’d cut them open and remove the muscle, like a scallop and use the rest for bait. I’d fish while the scallop were cooking. Filet the fresh cought fish and throw them in the hot pan while they were still flapping.

After a while I got a job at The Castle Harbor Sailboat Rentals teaching sailing. These days it looks like a tie-up for the people living in the anchorage.

Small open boats like:

I was working on an old fellas boat at Santana Marine, when he got a call and had to return home to Somewhere, N. Carolina. He asked me to take care of his boat while he was gone.

It was a lovely, older wooden sloop, centerboard keel; tall mast with running back stays. A lot of sail for a 34 foot boat. I never heard from him again. Tried the contact number to no avail. Wasn’t long his rent at the marina was used up. I moved on to the boat and put it in the anchorage. I had the boat for almost 3 years. Sailed it all over the Florida Keys and the Bahamas.The motorboat hull reserved my spot in the anchorage and I would return to it and tie up.

Late one afternoon rowing out to the boat I noticed it low in the water. The water was up to the gunnels, she wasn’t long for sinking. Untied it and drifted over to the island (opposite side from the C ). Tied her off to a tree and walked away. I had no money to put her in dry dock or repairs. I knew someone would salvage her and give her the life I couldn’t. Never saw her again.

P.S. Her name was The Wild Duck

3 Likes

@eight_bit_al that is SO cool!
My story is not so exotic:
I just read Swallows and Amazons at 7 and that was it for me, never looked back
Taught myself and my dad from a book in a Mirror dinghy (Including coming back to the car and finding it submerged - that’ll be a tide then :))
Raced the Mirror (sail no 4268, when the rest were in the 20 or 30K) 3 or 4 times a week, in Brightlingsea (the America’s cup crews used to come from our river for Britannia etc)
Then fell in love with Cherub dinghies as a young punk when older kids sailed one called ‘Pretty Vacant’ and got one of them. spent most time upside-down :slight_smile:
Then found windsurfing in the early 80’s and just lived that for decades (including coming here to PT mainly to sail @ Guincho)
Got another more modern asymmetric cherub later on as a beach boat - that was a scream!
Now I’m back to my roots in a little ETAP 22 which I have sailed from N. Sea Germany, Brightlingsea and Lisbon estuary. Dont intend to ever change her - like my old '71 VW camper afloat, Van der stadt design (himself) sails lovely.
I’m a ditch cruiser - Only been offshore once - met my PT wife on a 30 footer coming back from Porto Santo -
Work is boat related (see my intro post)
Boats, boats, boats!!!
Do you know Small-Boat sailing by Jack London?
I love that book

1 Like

I’ve read it several times.

1 Like

I’ve crewed on a lot of boats since then; almost every regatta that came to S. Florida;
Lauderdale to Key West Annual, The Harbor Town Regatta, Miami to Nassau Race.
Then I followed a girl to Colorado (in the nice way) in the mid eighties, and haven’t been on a boat since.

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl:

whats the trailer sailor @philT ?
My Etap 22 is, in principle, one, but I have never sailed her from the trailer

Came in handy when I was moving from PT to DE to UK and back to PT though.
I look at it as one of the advantages of a small boat is that you dont have to go much bigger before a new winch costs as much as my whole boat
And she draws 0.7m / 2’ 4" with the keel up so I can sneak everywhere
Although sometimes it doesnt go to plan :grin:
Aground at Mersea 3

3 Likes

This is the classic for my home area:
A time gone by type of thing - excellent book

Well worth a read

The cover is the traditional smack fishing boats from the area - amazing boats

And we have Thames barges

And Bawleys

2 Likes

Some equivalent evolutionary niches from here:

Uploading: seixal-barco.jpg…

And the Vera Cruz (We designed and made the 27m long lateen spars in carbon - sorry but I’m so proud of that - as an academic you dont get much chance to do real things :slight_smile: )

19. Vera Cruz Lisbon

2 Likes

Awesome stuff guys

1 Like

Awesome stuff, leigh. Thanks for sharing. Very traditional gaff rigs with long bowsprits to counter the heavy helm. Just beautiful.

Reliance, the largest gaff rigged cutter ever built. (talk about running back stays…)

2 Likes