Autotiling i3 not starting in config but does in .xprofile

Hi

With the below in my i3 config file, autotiling does not start

exec --no-startup-id autotiling -w 1

running autotiling -w 1 in a terminal then starts it, however

Conversely, if I put the following in my .xprofile, autotiling does start

autotiling -w 1 &

I don’t understand, can anyone explain, please?

2 Likes

Try quoting the command:

exec --no-startup-id "autotiling -w 1"
3 Likes

Try quoting the command:

Nice try, but it’s unnecessary.

@leigh

exec --no-startup-id autotiling -w 1

should start autotiling on the workspace number 1 only. Are you sure you checked on the proper workspace? I’ve just tried on my i3, and it worked well.

2 Likes

Well, I was just about to answer that, yes, I was checking in the proper workspace, since I also have:

assign [class=Xfce4-terminal|Grsync|GParted|Gnome-disks] $ws1

But, I thought I’d better check again with the i3 config entry (after removing the entry from .xprofile) before replying, and it worked!

I now remember moving windows around workspaces just before trying and must have been trying to get it to work in workspace 2 (the other one on my lappy display).

DOH!

Sorry for another dumb question :roll_eyes: and thanks for ever patient replies and help :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for so many contributions!! Autotiling has made i3 useable again!!

womp

2 Likes

There’re some new contributed features on the way, that I’ve already added to nwg-autotiling. Due to the discussion under the pull request, I’m still unsure if to merge it in the current state. Maybe I just need more beer.

1 Like

Always a good idea right?

womp

1 Like

I use archlabs-autotiling of course!

womp

Edit: I have a question about versions. achlabs-autotiling is at 1.6-1 but autotiling is at 1.8-1. I thought it would be the other way arround!?

Womp

I mean the nwg-autotiling script, which is an entry point of nwg-shell-config. I decided to derive this from the original autotiling, as I needed it to allow a single instance only. I also don’t hesitate to add new features, as I have no i3 users there. As well as FreeBSD, Debian and other exotic users. :wink:

1 Like

Would autotiling ever work with dkwm. ?

I see. So if I run nwg-shell-config I will get a “newer” autotiling then?

Is archlabs-autotiling 1.6-1 and autotiling 1.8-1 the same version of autotiling?

womp

LOL, no! It uses i3.sway IPC.

1 Like

Ok. Finally I understand!
Have a great weekend!

womp

1 Like

Yes I know. Will ask Nate.

In nwg-shell/sway only. It reads settings from the shell data, and does not support arguments.

No. I have no influence on AL packaging.

Same to you!