Authentication on a wireless network with RADIUS

So, I hope someone can help me here. My eldest son is a huge Linux fan (well they both are) and I have ArchLabs on his laptop. His school prefers WIndows based as they are compatible out of the box with the schools wireless network which uses RADIUS. Windows was driving the boy mad, so he asked for ArchLabs, it doesn’t seem to be compatible with the school network.

Does anyone have any experience getting this set up on Arch/Labs?

I have read the wiki which is very light on information, Google hasn’t really come up with any solutions as yet.

Leave it to the school to use RADIUS server to authenticate wireless connections with certificates. That’s enterprise level WPA2. You might be able to make this connection with “nmtui” or the “networkmanager” applet. However, from my Gentoo days, this had to be manually configured in the “/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf” file. Arch, doesn’t generate a “wpa_supplicant.conf” in that folder, as it uses systemd, and systemd-netword to broker connections. So, networkmanager and nmtui, are your default ways of adding the new connection/connecting to the School WIFI.

See the following to manually add a RADIUS connection.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Larry, I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

Hello @Dobbie03

did you manage to set up wpa_supplicant? I have the same issue with WPA2 and still can’t manage authentication.

No I failed miserably :frowning: I wish I could be of some help.