ArchLabs Linux

Asus gl753ve

Hi all!
I have got my hands on an Asus gl753ve laptop.
I have installed Archlabs (oct 19) on it and have at least 1 problem (that I know of!)
Laptop is preinstalled with win10 and my thought was to dualboot. I have screwed up the win10 boot (no surprise there) and had to create a efi-partition for AL. I don’t care about win10 but touchpad doesn’t work in AL and does not show a trace (that I can find!)
The laptop is from 2017. Is it still to new for Linux?

womp

Should work.

Make sure libinput is installed.

May need to tweak some settings for the touchpad.

Is there a function key to toggle the touchpad on/off? My Toshiba has one; there is a little graphic of a mouse and x-ed out mouse on it. I was messing around with libinput settings for an hour or so before I realized the touchpad was toggled off.

Hi and thanks for answer!!
To be able to start the installation I had to issue a couple of kernelparameters like osi=“windows 2015” osi=!. Before that I could not even boot the usb!
I read somewhere (lost it and trying to find it again) that with these kernelparameters the touchpad may “go missing”. Probably that’s what happened? I have been trying some tips on how to ge arround this but so far nothing has worked. I have managed to get a “bumblebee-method” to work though! Cant find on/off button for touchpad on this laptop I’m afraid! It’s night here up in nothern Scandinavia now so I will look into this tomorrow after work!

womp

I had the same problem on one of my newer asus laptops, had to go into the BIOS and set the Touchpad option to “Basic” then everything worked normally.

Hi and thanks for interest!!
AMI-bios here and most options seem to be hidden. I can not find any of the options you have on the photo. (Are there “jailbreaks” for AMI-bios?)

Womp

If they are hidden there might be a modded bios out there for it but if they are greyed out you need to set the admin password.

They might just be different and the option that saved me isn’t present for you :frowning:

Hi again!!
This is unbelievable!! BIOS was the right track!! I found something called “cms” in bios and enabled it just for curiosity and then I did a new install. Computer accepted nouveau so I could install! After reboot I installed Nvidia (optimus-manager!) and that just worked. I know that I have some more “tweaks” to do but this is a really good start! I wonder if I should try Nvidia_drm? Is optimus and nvidia_drm a working combination?

Thanks for insterest and support!! (I will probably be back though!)

womp

1 Like

CSM or the compatibility support module is used for booting legacy operating systems on newer UEFI hardware. I’m really not sure how or why that would impact the touchpad but a win is a win I suppose :slight_smile:

Yeah. I actually did some other things different when I reinstalled also. But I can not pinpoint what!
I have now lost win10 boot and have tried bootrec.exe /fixboot (from win10 usb). Got a positive answer but it didn’t work!

womp

Well, here I am again and I have been looking in to your observation about UEFI and you were absolutely right. It’s impossible to have one system mbr and the other UEFI! I reinstalled both systems UEFI-mode and managed to get it to work. I use refind as boot “organizer”. Optimus-manager is working fine and even touchpad works fine! My first UEFI-install!
Thanks for support! Matter is solved!

Womp

1 Like