I have been running Arch for some time now, there are some things which I know I should be knowing and had a breakthrough understanding loooong time ago. But I have been lazy, dodging, choosing to be stupid all the time. I have not been very responsible Arch user because of that. After being away for nearly 2 years from arch/linux I am looking to change that from today on!
This thread is for being honest to yourself and choosing to fix the issues, which you are aware you are having with arch/linux knowledge! So doing research on your own, will really be the best (after all, that is your own curiosity on a given subject).
Also I am somewhat curious… what similar third world problems, the more senior Arch masters are having it would be so interesting to know!
So here are my rookie problems which I can instantly think of:
- Git - an required skill to host your dotfiles (minimally, at least for that!). I have used it and tried it, but not 100% understood it. Right now without looking up a guide, I wouldn’t know how to properly push & pull or generally work with it, including the site (yet I manually download .zip & .dotfiles regularly from there).
- Manually installing AUR packages with makepkg. Not for once I have considered learning about PKGBUILD files. Reason: discovered yaourt, then yay. I think a big breakthrough awaits me right there. This point right here feels like a curse to me I have tasted the devil known as aur helpers and became dependent on them.
- Not entirely understanding linux file structure, what actually is inside the
/for example: /dev, /etc, /opt, /run, /srv, /tmp, /var. What stuff gets placed where, for Why they exist and what they do.
- When installing stuff with either
pacman -S, I don’t know where the files actually get downloaded on my system temporarily, and get placed after building. My basic usage will be in /home/.config 99% of the time, maybe a basic rice or a basic change of something.
- Installing fonts on arch/linux, feels extremely intimidating to me. Sometimes I know I can install a font from pacman or yay if know the font name (but then again, I don’t know where the files go anyway on my system…), but other times for a custom font which is not in the repo it’s not easy to figure out how to install, or where to place the files.