ArchLabs: A Gentoo spin

So - what are your hypothetical thoughts if there was an ArchLabs Gentoo variant (GenLabs, LabsToo) ?
I’m not saying there is or something being worked on, or have any inside info - just a silly thought as I was looking at Gentoo.

But if you were to create one - what would be the process flow? Keep in mind, I know nothing of Gentoo nor do I have any expectation it could even be done (Calculate Linux). It’s more of a “what if”

3 Likes

I will try anything fresh but what yous have here is perfect.

1 Like

Almost all Gentoo based distros have failed badly so far. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Few people are willing to spend time compiling everything from source now.

3 Likes

I figured as much - I did download Gentoo and am going to install tonight in kvm

2 Likes

Get some movies ready. The installation is gonna take long.

3 Likes

I’d use it :smiley: As long as I didn’t have to build anything from scratch :smiley:

5 Likes

You may not have to; many of the popular and larger packages are provided as binaries. I have not looked at Sabyon (they still around?) or Calculate in a long time. They may provide additional binaries to make the updates relatively painless.

However, Gentoo is all about compiling a system to match up with your hardware. Other than getting a solid Gentoo base, installing the binaries kind of misses the point.

2 Likes

Hahah
plus one here on that lol

1 Like

I’d rather an AL spin using Nix.

Me included, I don’t have time to compile stuff anymore man, unless it’s something strictly necessary, and I need to get sh% done in order to pay the bills lol

1 Like

This is what makes Gentoo interesting to me, as using it for building a machine spec’d as an appliance, only running certain applications.

It depends, if it had an AL installer hybrid or something – which would work just as well as our ALI – may I would dig it :sunglasses:

Anyone is more than welcome to make their own spin, in fact we encourage it :smiley:

Sabyon is going nowhere. Calculate is backed by some Russian bad boys. I may give it a shot to see what they’ve got.

3 Likes

LABSBUNTU

2 Likes

Except for that. :smiley:

4 Likes

It’s great for that. Anyone looking to install Gentoo for the first time should have a look at their forum - some threads in there about setting up the environment (make.conf) for compiling, as well as, partition schemes.

I had Gentoo running pretty lean on my HP laptop, but the time required to update was just too much.

2 Likes

They merged with Funtoo. I have tried booting into their live ISO a number of times and it just doesn’t want to boot.
https://www.sabayon.org/article/sabayon-is-rebranding/

1 Like

Why Daniel Robbins was expelled from Gentoo project? I quit Gentoo long time ago, didn’t follow the stories.

I don’t know if he was expelled or not. I haven’t ever followed the project. It could have been as simple as him just stepping down?