ArchLabs 2023 Installer Survey

To help us shape our future releases, if you have time, please take 5 minutes to complete this survey.

ArchLabs 2023 Installer Survey

Due to the limitation on comments on the survey itself, please post any additional comments, apps, or services you use here in this thread. We can’t promise we can or will implement every suggestion, but we will certainly take them into consideration.

Cheers

1 Like

Done. Guess I can leave a few comments here. I skipped the bootloader option because I don’t use bootloader. I have refind installed from Arch and if an install gives me the option to not install a bootloader I choose not to. If the installer doesn’t I just uninstall it after the install. Also, there was only an option for one wm/de so I chose i3 but I usually have at minimum i3, dk, and openbox installed but I know that is not normal for a lot of people. Finally, on the live session, I don’t care either way. I chose no on the answers but including one wouldn’t make me cry.

1 Like

Done

Also, there was only an option for one wm/de

Same, my daily is dk but have to use plasma on a yoga tablet

1 Like

Done. I have answered it as if I was strictly using AL and a WM (which I’m not). I’d use/apply AL as a WM distro for Arch. DE’s can be installed through many other means and spins. For all other purposes it is usually through archiso or a number of special projects, like nwg-shell, ezarcher you get the point. The audience here in the forum is a bunch of adorable geeks (including myself), so our view is a bit influenced by our mileage i think. For all DE’s I tend to go with archiso these days or make my own iso. Would be nice to see what makes a newcomer interested in AL and what they look for in an installer. Great stuff anyway!

1 Like

Yep, I did that intentionally as I wanted to see what was the most popular so I would hope people would choose their most use de/wm.

I will be running these again in the future if need be.

Perfect.

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

1 Like

imo I think dk really represents Archlabs pretty well. I think it would fit well as the default option. These are just my opinions though and it will be interesting to see the results of the poll if you decide to share them.

3 Likes

Done

@Dobbie03 I may have missed it but will the final results be posted?

1 Like

done , archlabs don’t need a live envirement imo

2 Likes

Done, I like the live environment as I use that as a guide to see how the OS would run if I were to install it on bare metal. just my 2 cents. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with you. DK is a pretty darn good WM (features, performance & ease to use). I think it should be AL’s pick for WM. Another WM to keep is OpenBox. As for DE options, we may only need one, for example, XFCE.

4 Likes

@wickedlester and @SqdnGunny I wasn’t planning on sharing the results but it only seems fair that I do. I’ll give this survey a week and see how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone who has participated.

Regarding dk as the default, that really is a decision for @natemaia. I’m completely with either dk or Openbox as default.

3 Likes

Done.
I put in Vanilla Kernel and i3, but I also have LTS and Openbox as fall-backs (both of which I hardly ever use, the latter less and less)
Whilst I put that I don’t use the live environment and that I wouldn’t miss it, it’s neither here nor there if its there or not, as long as getting to the installer is intuitive.

1 Like

Done!.
I’m quite a “boring desktop user”, so I’m fine with the live environment, Lightdm, xfce (although I use I3 from time to time) and vanilla kernel.

1 Like

Openbox I think, with all due respect, is the flagship of ArchLabs.

Obviously DK is really very good and not like other wm’s that drive you crazy with updates, like dwm, xmonad and so on.

DK is ArchLabs in all the sense of this distro and much easier and more comfortable for newcomers here, such was my case, which in a few days I’ll be one year here!

For the other desktops you can install them without problems from console and I think, it is not necessary to put them in the installer.

That’s just my opinion, that’s all.

7 Likes

Great feedback @judd ! Yes, as i come to think of it Openbox got me to ArchLabs in the first place. And for that I would still use just that. DK, imho, is a fantastic WM (having spent considerable time in awesome, bspwm. i3 etc). DK outshines all, at least for me. But Openbox is the core indeed of AL. Just my two cents.

4 Likes

Done, I use grub or syslinux depending on my laptop. Also, i use more than one window manager but i think if you have just a couple of desktops its easy to install anything you want if someone wants a fully finished environment there are loads of distros that fill that already

4 Likes

Thanks for the survey.

Live sessions are always useful. For example, last time it was actually what allowed me to install ArchLabs because the TUI boot entry was failing everytime. I ran installer in a terminal, in the live session, and it worked. The live session is also useful when I want to shred or tweak partitions (though I could use any other live sessions like an Ubuntu one, so ArchLabs’ own live session is not strictly necessary, it’s just convenient when it’s the only distro I have on a bootable USB key).

About the window manager: none of the proposed choices. I use Qtile :wink:
dk seems nice, but didn’t really try it yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

When I went to the survey, all I go was error 403 Forbidden.

2 Likes