Al-conkyedit

I’ll preface this by saying I have been using Linux for over 20+ years but my scripting is weak to non-existent.

I am running Xfce and am using the the archlabs-pipemenus specifically for the al-conky* scripts. The problem I am having is with al-conkeyedit, I can execute it and select the conky to edit but when I select OK, I get nothing. Executing from a terminal does not give me any info.

I have no problems with using al-conkyzen and then adding the conky-sessionfile into my autostart apps.

I took a look a the al-conkyedit script and am assuming I need to edit something here:

ANSWER="$($CHECKLIST --title="$TITLE" --text="$TEXT" --separator=" " --column="Select" --column="Conky Name" $LIST)"

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	exit 0
else
	for name in $ANSWER; do
		for file in $FILES; do
			if [[ "${file##*/}" = "$name" ]]; then
				if hash exo-open &>/dev/null; then
					(exo-open "$file" &)
				elif hash termite &>/dev/null; then
					(termite -e "$EDITOR $file" &>/dev/null)
				elif hash st &>/dev/null; then
					(st -e $EDITOR $file &)
				elif hash urxvt &>/dev/null; then
					(urxvt -e "$EDITOR $file" &)
				fi
				break
			fi
		done
	done
fi 

I want mousepad to open the file, I’ve tried plugging it in here but no joy.

What am I missing?? Is it old age as my little ones tell me to often?? LOL

1 Like

You’re not old, you’re seasoned. At least that’s what I like to tell myself.

Is EDITOR assigned any value? If yes, try,

urxvt -e $EDITOR $file

Pardon my stupidity, but where?

I have this in my .zshrc

export EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano
export VISUAL=/usr/bin/mousepad

Thanks

What terminal are you using?

1 Like

You know you can simply try something like the following in terminal:

#mousepad

Use sudo in front of mousepad, if the conky file is system-wide.

btw. I recommend using geany rather than mousepad if you want to mess with script code. It is very nice and helpful. It is also quite easy to learn (famous last words).

1 Like

xfce4-terminal

Thanks, trying to use the existing script in place.

FWIW. Here is one of the best conky discussion threads around:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=512

1 Like

It’s probably best to set variables in /etc/environment (or in their own files under /etc/environment.d/), like this:

EDITOR=ed
VISUAL=vim

If you’re using LightDM to log in then I don’t think zsh will be run as a login shell so any variables exported from ~/.zshrc would not apply to stuff launched from the menu.

Or just change $EDITOR in the script to mousepad (or so) directly and so ignore “$EDITOR” completely.

1 Like

@Head_on_a_Stick, tried your suggestions, no joy.

Maybe when @natemaia is free, he can provide some guidance.

Can we see

echo "$EDITOR"
echo "$VISUAL"

You can test the menu system with this entry:

<item label='Test for $EDITOR'>
   <action name="Execute">
      <command>echo &quot$EDITOR&quot &gt ~/editor.txt</command>
   </action>
</item>

Clicking on the “Test for $EDITOR” entry should create a text file at ~/editor.txt containing the value of “$EDITOR” as “seen” from the menu system.

Please also show us what exactly you tried when attempting to hard-code the script to use mousepad instead of $EDITOR. You may have done it wrong.

You need one of listed terminals (termite/st/urxvt) or exo-open installed in your system. Or, change one of those terminals to xfce4-terminal. You can try it first in cmd line before changing the script.

$xfce4-terminal -e "$EDITOR .Xresources"
1 Like

Tried all that a few days back.

Going to investigate further, soon, when I’m in the mood to pound my head on my desk.