Accuracy of your IP address location?

Yep, sad days from then on I think.

Yup, year 3 here with PIA. I was mainly commenting on Proton and email. PIA had an office near where I used to live in the states. So yeah, I too wanted to support them.

Hah case in point, just clicked the general reply button
sikkdays
My bad, I did not mean to respond to you specifically, just a general post, I need to be more careful about which [reply] button I click.

@sikkdays Are you a mental health care professional?

No. I’m just working on myself. I have thought about doing some peer training certification so that I can work in mental health. Yeah, I should really get on that.

A-ok Just wondering :slight_smile:

I hate to always be that person but please be aware that looks can be deceiving. Many of the so called 'vpn review’s websites are basically just bought ad space with heavily biased reviews. Other VPN providers like protonvpn and mullvad who do not partake in such schemes will get bad reviews and sometimes even completely faked information is published.
You should look into a multitude of reviews and probably avoid the top search results that your search engine gives you.
I personally value thatoneprivacysite.com very much. It has an incredible in-depth review Excel sheet of most of the VPN providers out there.
Other than that, you can probably never be 100% sure that your choice is the right one but at least you can make a big step in that direction. Personally, I would avoid the big players who invest huge sums in marketing… but that is just my personal opinion.

I use a VPN regularly, this helps me with couple of things, such as hiding my real IP address, and unblocking my desired websites. It’s become a basic need these days.
This time I had to hold buying for couple of months and got one yesterday, discounted
:grin: :grin:

I’m OK with the government scanning my web traffic because I would very much like them to know that I am not a threat and that they shouldn’t bother wasting any of their precious, limited resources on me.

No VPNs for me :slight_smile:

Bah - Anyone using Debian/OpenBSD is a threat :wink:
LOl - in all seriousness - I agree. My web traffic is pretty much nothing but Linux junk.
It’s as boring as the old fart sleeping in a recliner (drool is optional) after a Thanksgiving meal…

Hmmm - something seems vaguely familiar about that…

Yes, Debian is an operating system written by Communists for Communists.[1]

Don’t tell MI5 but…

empty@buster:~ $ apt policy anarchism
anarchism:
  Installed: 15.1-7
  Candidate: 15.1-7
  Version table:
 *** 15.1-7 500
        100 https://cdn-aws.deb.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 https://cdn-aws.deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
empty@buster:~ $

I’m interested in political theory, that’s all! :shushing_face:

[1] This is a joke!

In my opinion, this is a rather dubious mindset and I disagree.

Source: ‘I’ve Got Nothing to Hide’ and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy

If you’ve got the time and are interested in the topic, maybe read through the source I quoted above. There are lots of similar works online, like Glenn Greenwald’s TedTalk or even the related wikipedia page

Allow me to explain my position further…

I live in London and I moved here a year or so before the 7/7 attacks and since then my beautiful city has been subject to more terrorist atrocities than I care to recall. The threat we face here from extremist nutcases is very real and very current:

It is against this backdrop that my desire to be as transparent as possible in my online transactions arises.

I fully recognise the concerns of the anti-surveillance brigade but pragmatism must intervene here, at least for me.

I completely understand the essence of your point and what is happening pretty much all over the world nowadays is without a doubt horrible and should be prevented. However, do you feel like you not using a VPN (for the sake of the argument I am only going to focus on this specific example) is going to change the fact that whoever wants to do harm will use one? Do you assume that by not using a VPN it will be easier for the government to identify whoever is actually a threat? VPN services that do not keep logs do not care about how many logs they are not keeping… if any agency knocks on their door, there is nothing they can hand out - no matter if 5 ppl use the service or 5 million. There have been official large and thorough investigations about mass surveillance in the US after 9/11 and they concluded that wiretapping and all that would not have made a difference in identifying the responsible persons earlier or better at all. And please keep in mind that we are not talking about specific surveillance in the case of evidence of malintent which is a whole different scenario.

On a similar note: protonvpn has recently posted a question on their reddit (I believe) about the hypothetical scenario where a kidnapper has a hostage and communicates with the authorities via protonvpn in one way or another. Should protonvpn as a service provider who usually does not keep logs enable logs for the servers the kidnapper is using to help authorities identify the location or identity of the kidnapper?
Now on a first glance this is an easy question - of course they should because that could save a life.
Going into detail, though, this becomes a highly debated ethical dilemma (which I am not going to further elaborate here). It sure is a tough question to answer and probably there is no “right” answer to this…

No, I do not.

A little bit, yes.

My presumption here is that the security services would use VPNs (and other annonimity aids such as torified browsers) as a potential flag for suspicious activity and so I am scrupulous in my avvoidance of such techniques. But perhaps I am being naive here.

I would counter your claims of VPN privacy though with the simple observation that government-based exploits are more likely to be hardware-based and thus perfectly capable of extracting the desired information regardless of the obfuscation strategy employed. But I’m no expert :slight_smile:

I think the reality of it is simply this; a person will opt to use a VPN for various reasons (determined by the user) and simply put, it will be the correct option for that user but may not be for someone else - and, that’s Ok!

Just as there are some that prefer to us IPTables on a home system (for reasons determined by the user) while some may not find that as a option (for whatever reason).

Both options are just that, options. The correctness (or incorrectness) can only be determined by the users needs/wants and that, should be the only thing that matters.

You are absolutely correct. This is why I stated above that I am only for the sake of the argument focusing on VPNs and that specific targeting of one individual based on evidence is a different situation.
Please understand that I am an in no way under the impression that I am completely “safe”. I know that if anybody really tried, they can probably get every bit of information about me they want.
The thing is, though, that I do not agree to share all of my data and habits with the whole world regardless of if I do partake in illegal activities or not. This is why I use a VPN.

Sorry, but again I disagree. This is not simply a matter of “what’s your favourite dish”. There is much more to using a VPN or not or for that matter caring about online privacy/data safety or not than personal taste.
I agree that it is an individual decision but I am of the opinion that in this case one option has more objective reasons and reasonable arguments speaking for it, compared to the other option.

I use a VPN service a lot as I travel and don’t trust hotels, hotspots and ArchLabs :cold_sweat:
That is the only reason why I use a VPN.

I use a local, authenticated nameserver to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks, cache poisoning, etc.

In ArchLabs this is as simple as:

systemctl enable --now systemd-resolved
ln -s /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

Test with:

systemd-resolve --status

Thanks, will look into this shortly.