60,000 patents for free for Linux and Android?

Microsoft Makes 60,000 Patents Open-Source to Aid the Linux Community
It’s too love… :joy:

ZDNet
The Register
ARS Technica
Markets Insider

Good or bad intentions in the short or long term? …Only time will tell.

Thx for sharing, like looking at these even if I m not a Linux pro as some in here.@ m.rogers

The thing I really don t like is MS getting his big rich-heavy nose in it.

1 Like

I’ve only read the zdnet article so far. But I don’t see what they aim for, they loose a highly lucrative way of earning money for… for what actually ?

1 Like

Anyways that we look at it,after some thinkerings, MS doesn t do it for nothing, might be another way to track & have some tweakings from the open source community & make loads of money with it.

2 Likes

It’s scary to me, I do not know about you, but I do not like what’s happening.
And I wonder if really new technologies really bring a benefit to the population of the world.
And only my opion, and I’m nobody

3 Likes

Maybe I’m just being a conspiracy theorist here, but I think MS is trying to be in good graces with GNU and Linux so that they can be on the inside. Then start destroying everything from the inside. Best way to get rid of competition. I think @Dobbie03 had also mentioned this scenario on another post. :face_with_raised_eyebrow::thinking:

3 Likes

Microsoft’s intentions in this are coldly calculating and clinical — they publicise this announcement because it makes them look good to all the trendy young hackers that they need to make Win10 work, lol.

But the real reason why they open source the code is because they have finally realised that if the code can be viewed by anybody then it can also be improved by anybody.

OpenBSD were one of the first operating systems to make their entire source code tree viewable in a public repository over 25 years ago and they were almost immediately inundated with high-quality pull requests making their code better from hackers all around the world.

This subject is covered in more depth in Eric S Raymond’s seminal text on open source development:

http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

3 Likes

That’s a relevant point!!

1 Like

I do not disagree that this type of action can bring benefits, but we should not forget that we are talking about a global company, it does nothing for nothing, MS does not like hugs, it likes to embrace.

In the case of BSD it was another time, another vision, other people with other minds, the trade was different, everything was different to think of a line being always the same, but the one can change.

I do not see charity in this action, I am skeptical with situation, kind of water for wine.

For me they are only preparing the ground to see what to plant and harvest long term … maybe … I do not know … but that’s what I think.

2 Likes

She wants to become friends after so many years of … and surely tomorrow she wants to embrace something she has never been able to embrace in the past (for her own sake), the only vision that a company, mainly large, has already know … if it is not money, I give up. hahaha…

1 Like

Well, the code is still being improved to this day and even the hardware companies are now realising the benefits of open source:

https://riscv.org/

This really is an admission of defeat by Microsoft, a clear message that the open source develoment model produces better software than closed development MS has favoured to date.

But yes, I agree that they are evil and will leverage this to their best advantage in any way possible.

Embrace, extend, extinguish.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen this video:

Trouble with politics

Politics has no place with GNU/Linux. :angry::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Definitely not … hahaha!

Ah, I was just discussing this on another forum:

http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3707

tl;dr: I fully support the adoption of the Code of Conduct by the Linux kernel developers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep , but some can t understand that, it s beyond reasons @sevenday4 .

1 Like

Nothing is safe or sacred anymore!

2 Likes

lol, so true in there @sevenday4

1 Like

All this frantic movement of people (companies and +.) Wanting to know about the lives of other people was leveraged in the years 2000 …

2 Likes

Pretty much it in there @m.rogers

1 Like